Beautiful Sri Lanka - Part 1of 4



After celebrating a white Christmas in Canada Leo and I were craving sunshine and the beach so we decided to team up with our beautiful friends, Françoise from Toronto and Kellie from Melbourne and head to Sri Lanka for a week during the Chinese New Year Holiday.

"Every year go someplace you have never been before", they say, so we were all doing as they say.

It was an 8 hour flight from Beijing to Colombo where we arrived at 6am ready for our adventure. We had arranged for a driver to pick us up from the resort. I was excited about this, at last there would be someone waiting for me at an airport with a sign. (Something I have had on my bucket list for quite some time now) We walked out to be greeted by so many Sri Lankan men with serious faces holding signs with people's names written on. We walked along slowly, nothing resembling any of our names was written on any sign. We walked along again and again, nothing! I couldn't help but laugh, all the serious faces were now smiling back at me. Leo started swearing and rang the resort while the girls calmly got someone at the airport to organize another car for us and it was all sorted out pretty quickly. We then set off with a driver that we hoped was taking us to our resort which was 2 hour's drive south of Colombo at Bentota.

Along the way we saw cattle wandering the streets, beautiful children playing cricket, rice paddy fields and lots of fresh food markets. Little did I know I was about to spend the week eating the most delicious bananas I have ever eaten in my life.

We arrived at the reception of the resort to be greeted by the friendly staff and a lovely cold glass of juice each while we waited for our boat to take us across the river to the resort.

Once at the resort and all checked in to our rooms we had breakfast, then hit the beach.

Well, I thought Australia had the best beaches in the world but it looks like we have some serious competition. Beautiful clean sand as far as you could see, crystal clear water and best of all hardly any people.

Then it was off to the pool for a swim, followed by a quick nap before getting ready for the sundowners.

After watching the sunset over the water we then walked along the beach to a lovely little restaurant where we shared a seafood platter.

I was starting to think I had died and gone to heaven, and it was only day one.


As usual, Leo was up bright and early for his swim in the ocean and then we went to breakfast. I had my first Sri Lankan egg hopper which is a fried egg served in a crepe and quite delicious.

It was then time to hit the beach and pool again. Today, us girls joined in the water aerobics class while Leo made friends. We then felt we had earned spending time at the swim up bar.

That afternoon we made friends with the table cloth man and I bought a little piece of Sri Lanka to take home, how could I resist that smile?

It then started to rain so we dined in one of the restaurants at the resort, beautiful fresh seafood again.

How I have missed seafood.


No tags yet.

© 2023 by NOMAD ON THE ROAD. Proudly created with